Emerge as a Skilled Nurse with Baylor's Distance ABSN program
Through Louise Herrington School of Nursing’s FastBacc® program – an immersive, accelerated BSN online program designed for bachelor’s degree holders – you can prepare for a rewarding career in nursing in under 1 year. Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Elements of Professional Nursing—understand concepts of professional nursing and the role of the nurse as a member of an interprofessional healthcare team.
- The Human Needs Framework—master key elements of nursing practice as it pertains to care of patients and families with a diverse range of needs.
- Clinical Competencies—plan and deliver nursing care for individuals and families at different stages of life – including babies, children, adolescents, adults, and the elderly – with health issues of varying complexity.
- Healthcare Issues and Policy—understand the current issues and factors shaping healthcare on a national and global level and how they impact diverse cultures and communities.
Stress-free Clinical Placements
At Baylor University’s Louis Herrington School of Nursing, we strongly believe in setting our students up for success. That's why we provide clinical sites and preceptors for the online ABSN program. We also know clinical placement sites may be potential locations for future employment opportunities upon graduation. If you already have a placement site or preceptor in mind, we encourage you to refer them to our placement team to secure. Get in touch with our Enrollment Advisors for more information.
Accelerated BSN Nursing Program Prerequisites
Here are the prerequisites needed before you can start your ABSN program:
- Anatomy & Physiology I
- Anatomy & Physiology II
- English Composition I
- English Composition II
- English Literature
- Federal Government
- Bible-based Religion
- World Religion
- History course
- Nutrition course
- Statistics course
- Intro to Psychology
- Developmental Psychology
- Intro to Sociology
If you need to complete any of these courses, please let your Enrollment Advisor know for assistance in scheduling.
Focused on the elements of professional nursing, the curriculum provides a detailed study of foundations, process, and standards.
NUR 3212 - Professional Development: Foundations for Practice
Introduces the role of the professional nurse as a member of the interprofessional healthcare team through concepts such as the nursing process, standards of practice, and philosophy of nursing from a current and historical perspective. Critical thinking, therapeutic communication, and caring are also introduced as tools to enhance the nurse-patient relationship.
NUR 3330 - Introduction to Professional Nursing Practice
An introduction to the concepts of professional nursing practice, emphasizing the establishment of the nurse-patient relationship, application of the nursing process, and development of psychomotor skills.
NUR 4338 - Analysis and Synthesis of Complex Human Needs
This course provides a critical analysis of individuals with multiple and complex problems and the effects of those problems on families and groups. A case-study/discussion format will be used to integrate physiological and spiritual needs across levels of care and across the lifespan.
Download Your Distance ABSN Program Guide
A Need for Nurses
There’s an RN shortage in Texas because of the baby boomer generation needing more care, current RNs moving into retirement, and health care reform. The need for nurses has never been greater. Here are some stats in relation to the RN shortage:
- 1 million RNs will retire by 2030
- Texas has the 2nd largest RN shortage in the nation
- 17% of Texans lack health insurance
- Demand for nurses is projected to grow 12% through 2028
Schedule An Appointment